Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Biggest Fan

When you decide you want to run a 50K you know it's going to be a lot of work. When you're married with 2 kids under the age of 5 you know it's going to take a very understanding spouse who will love you more even though you might be a little crazy :)!

I decided on the way home from my marathon when I was doubled over in the front seat sick to my stomach making Alfred pull over at every exit that I could run farther!  That a marathon just wasn't enough.  Most husbands after 5 hours of taking care of the boys in below freezing weather, chasing you around a unfamiliar city to hold signs up and give you support and now seeing how bad you felt would say no way, I'm not doing this again.  My Alfred said "I think you could easily do it".  And so the quest began. 

My friend Jill and I decided to join Fleet Feet's training for the Stump Jump which meant Alfred would have to rearrange his entire work schedule so he could have Saturday mornings off so that I could get up at 4:30AM make lots and lots of noise and head to the woods for hours upon hours then come home and recover however I felt necessary.  It might be a nap or party with the friends, really who knew from one week to the next!  About 3 weeks in I reminded him that Kingston would be playing Soccer and he would have to take both boys to the ball field on Saturday mornings and I would try to meet them there...oh and he was going to coach!!  He said "That's fine, I've always wanted to coach". 

He reminded me on Friday's to give him my list of must have trail food for the weekend so he could go ahead and get it while he was at work.  The times when I've doubted myself he's reminded me that I am strong that I am doing this for those that can't, that I run because in a family full of heart disease that takes the lives of those I love too early I (knock on wood) have shown no signs of heart disease.  He has massaged my back and legs and made ice packs when I've needed them.  He understands the need carb load and doesn't make fun when I go into super crazy food planning before long run or race mode.  Most of all he hasn't made me feel bad for being a little crazy.  He has made me feel supported and loved and through it all I've fallen even more in love with him and I didn't even think that was possible. 

So as I embark on my journey Saturday morning I do so knowing that in a hotel in Chattanooga my husband will be there getting the boys ready for a fun day out on the town, coming to see mommy when possible and he will be there with our boys to watch as I cross the Finish line hand in hand with my training buddies and he will have Patrone!!  Thanks for being you Alfred and for allowing me to be me!  I love you from the bottom of my heart and I love the example you are setting for our boys, so they always know it is possible to have a family and follow your dreams. 

1 comment:

Susan said...

Dang it, girl! You just made me cry! For some reason I thought it would be about Kingston, I should have known it was about your awesome husband! Alfred is a definite keeper! You are a lucky lady!